Rabbits/Pregnant Rabbit

Question
Hi Dana, Just wanted to say thanks for the advise - I'm new the the rabbit pet owner thing.  My rabbit had 3 babies on Christmas morning - they are so sweet.  Can you perhaps assist me further with information on what to do now.  I'm going to take the male to the vet on the 2nd of January so that they can spray him.  When should I put him back in the cage with her?  When will the babies come out of the nesting box? When will their eyes open?  It's very expensive to spray the female rabbit - is it neccessary or is it fine if he only is sprayed.  Hope you had a wonderful Christmas.

Answer
Dear Mariaan,

If your male has been with the female since she gave birth, she may already be pregnant again.  So please read this:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/surpriselitter.html

to prepare.  You may have to divide her time between the litters to keep both alive, and you might even have to step in and help if there are lots of babies:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/orphan.html

Males can have viable sperm in their internal "plumbing" for 2-6 weeks after the neuter (males are neutered; females are spayed), though most buns are safe to put back with their mates after 3-4 weeks.  Better to be safe than sorry. But be sure they can see/smell/interact between now and then, so they don't un-bond.  If they fight when they are re-introduced, I can help with that.  But let's hope for the best.

Hope all goes well.  Enjoy the adorable babies.

Happy New Year!

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.