Rabbits/Rabbits eye a little pink

Hi there,  I recently adopted a 6 month old desexed Rex rabbit named Murphy. He seems like a very happy well adjusted little guy. He was checked out by a ver and was given a clean bill of health. I made sure his teeth were inspected and they said they looked fine.

Two days after I brought him home I noticed on his one eye, on the white part near the corner towards his body , that it is a little pink. The other eye is bright white. The front of eye I am concerned about is bright white as well. He has no discharge or watering and no inflammation. He is not sneezing or rubbing his eye. He is eating, drinking water, and playing. I am just wondering if I should be concerned or if it's possible it's just a little irritated from the new environment, new hay, and new litter? Would it be safe for me to rinse it with saline just as a precaution?

Thank you very much for your help :)

Dear Shannon,

It would not hurt to rinse the eye with some warm, sterile saline.  It could be just a temporary irritation from something.  But if the problem persists or gets worse, have your trusted rabbit vet have a look to make sure there is nothing that requires treatment.

You can find a rabbit vet here:

I hope bun will be fine soon.  Congratulations on your new pal.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology