Rabbits/Jack Rabbit-identifying age

Kevinc wrote at 2012-06-04 22:33:42
Got this off another site, seams pretty good and true with the baby Jack Rabbits outside our house.  Of course it's only for the first 28 days of there lives, can't help you after that.   

The following is a brief outline of their aging process:

Newborn rabbits have pink bellies and the hair is slick. The ears are not erect and their eyes are closed.

5 to 6 days old: The bunny is fully furred, but the ears are not erect and the eyes are still closed.

7 to 8 days old: The ears begin to stand up.

10 days old: The eyes open.

12 to 14 days old: The bunny is able to hop and nibble on solid food.

21 to 28 days old: The ears are 1 inch in length and the bunny can live independently.  

Kelly wrote at 2013-05-29 14:09:56
Jack rabbits are born with their eyes open and fully furred. The answer above is for Cottontails and domestics. The Jack Rabbit Leveret is nothing like a Cottontail Bunny. I have taken care of newborns that are 75 grams to 98 grams and by the first week they were weighing about 140-145 grams. I think the weight is about the only "guestimate" you will have. Kelly

Dave Lawrence

I can answer questions about breeding and showing rabbits. I have been breeding Black Rex rabbits for the past 10 years and have won numerous prizes for showing them. Ive also done a fair amount of judging.