Rabbits/Ageing rabbits

Could you please tell us how to age different breeds of rabbits. Is there any way to link their weight with their age?

ANSWER: Hello there.
I would be very difficult to age rabbits by their weight.
However if you know  the breed you may be able to compare its weight & the "IDEAL" weight for that breed but after 10-12 months they reach their Sr. Weight & then its difficult to age by weigh.
Good luck.

Thank you so much for the prompt reply. Could you please tell us how to age rabbits? We would be greatful if you could sent any document or figures to show this.

Thanks again

Hello Anand

This is something all us rabbit breeders face, too. Unfortunately, not even a vet can tell the age of a mature rabbit with any real accuracy. When the bunny is spayed or neutered, the condition of the reproductive organs can give a clue (if they're relatively small and "new" looking the bunny is probably only a few months old.

With a GREAT deal of experience, a person can learn to gauge the *approximate* age of a rabbit (under one year; 1-2 years; over 5 years, etc.) by looking at the shape of the body, the condition of the skin and eyes, the color and condition of the teeth, If a dewlap is present in does, etc. But it's a very inexact science.

I wish I could be of more help!
Good luck

Dan Vallo

I have been raising Rabbits for over 25 Years and have raised all the breeds mentioned above along with a few others. I have been a member of the ARBA ( American Rabbit Breeders Accociation) www.arba.net since 1985.I currently have a 1300 sqft barn that is Heated and colled to maintain 7o degrees all year long. We show our rabbits all over The USA and have been in the top ten breeders during the last 5 years in several different breeds.

ARBA. NM State Rabbit and Cavy Breeders, American Checkered Giant Rabbit Club, Southwest Checkered Giant RC, Champagne De` Argent RC, National Polish RC, Sandoval County Livestock commitee.

ACGRC Bulletin, CDARF monthly news bulletin,

I Worked with a vet for several Years.

top ten rabbit breeder Checkered Giant rabbit club. #1st sweepstake winner Champagne Rabbit club 2007, #10 in 2006 top 15 in 2005,Ranked # 4 in points standings for 2008. Top points standing in New Mexico for Champagne de`Argent & Checkered giant rabbbits past 5 years