Rabbits/Bald Patch Back of the Neck.

Question
I have a one year old Double Main Lionhead NewZealand Cross Bunny.. it has been noticed over the couple months he has developed a bold spot on the back of his neck that recently appears to be continuing to thin down his back. There is no redness, he is not scratching at it..hehas no sings of mites, there is no signs of any kind of parasites..the skin looks healthy..no scaling or flaking no lesions nothing. He is the only Rabbit.our closest rabbit vet is over 4 hours away so a trip to the vet is not a easy thing as he does not travel well.

Answer
Dear Inez,

Please see:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/furloss.html

for some ideas of the possible cause.  Fur loss like this is often due to fur mites, which are notoriously hard to find.  Might not hurt to treat bun with Revolution (selamectin), in case it's might.

Could cure the problem, and it won't hurt to try.

Hope this helps.

Dana

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.