Rabbits/what breed is my bunny?

Question
Hopper
Hopper  
What breed is my rabbit? she is about 7 pounds, white with blackish spots (the upper back is one black spot except for the white rabbit ear like shape spot, also she has black ears and black forhead), upward ears, and between 1/4 and 1/2 inch fur.

Answer
Dear Jess,

If your bunny's fur is very short and extremely soft (no long guard hairs; just the wooly undercoat), he is a Rex.  If he's about 4 lbs, he's a mini-Rex, and if bigger, possibly a standard Rex.  Rex bunnies also have very short, twisty, coarse whiskers. If he has those, he's at least part Rex.  If he has long, straight whiskers, he's not a Rex.

I can't see the fur well from the picture, so you'll have to judge.  But if that fur is soft as a cloud and very puffy, that's Rex fur.

If that doesn't sound right, then he is probably a hybrid showing a beautiful piebald color pattern.  Hopper looks a lot like my bunny, Pancho (a mini-Rex).  :)

Hope that helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.