Rabbits/Bunnies fighting/chasing after spaying

Question
We had our 2 female bunnies (Simba and Rafiki) spayed 4 days ago and for the last 2 days, Rafiki has been running frantically away from Simba whenever she gets close, this then leads to a chase, and ends with Rafiki hiding. They are sisters and have been together since birth, and this has never happened before. They normally snuggle up together, groom and eat together, but not at all at the moment Is this to do with them being spayed and they will calm down and go back to normal?

Answer
Dear Chloe,

It's good that they were spayed at the same time, which reduces the chances of "unbonding".  But these things are never perfectly predictable.  It could be that Rafiki feels vulnerable and in pain, and that's why she's running.

And remember that both of them have been hurled into what amounts to instant menopause.  The behavioral effects of that in rabbits are also unpredictable.

I have started an experiment--and I think I'm the only one currently doing this--in which our vet removes only the *uterus* and leaves the ovaries.  This eliminates the risk of uterine cancer, but leaves the normal, hormonal behaviors.  Some of those might be objectionable (e.g., spraying, false pregnancies, sexual interest, etc.), but if you're willing to deal with those, then the plus side might outweigh them.

It's too late for your bunnies, unfortunately, to try that.  So the chips will fall, eventually.  But if you do need to re-bond them, you can find tips here:

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-a=00062824-sp00000000&sp-q=bonding

Don't let them fight to "work it out".  Rabbits have a LONG memory, and they hold grudges.  One good fight could completely sever their lifelong bond.

I hope everything calms down and they regain their former, cuddly relationship.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.