Rabbits/Bunny eats only hay.

Just recently (about four days ago) I got a little dwarf rabbit and named him Jasper. He's doing very well and has no problem being petted or held - but I've noticed one big thing. While he eats hay like nothing else and does enjoy his lettuce leaf daily, he doesn't touch his pelleted food. The woman who owned him before me told me to get him Purina Show but I haven't been able to find it. Instead, I got a food that has the same ingredients and he still won't touch it.

Today I bought him a stick with a lot of seeds and fruits that has high fiber (the basis of his diet here) and he will not eat that either. Do you think it's just the kind of food I'm giving him or is it because he's only used to that one kind of food? He has no problem eating my huge bag of timothy hay but I know it doesn't have everything he needs in it.

From Elaine and Jasper, thanks a bunch and God bless!

Dear Elaine,

Some rabbits just don't like pellets.  And bun is smart to not eat the seedy/fruity junk food.  :)  Please see:

Providing him with mixed greens, bits of treat, and lots of grass hay should keep him very happy and healthy.  He doesn't really need pellets if he has a balanced diet, otherwise.

But be sure his picky eating isn't due to dental problems, which are very common in Dwarf rabbits.  Please see:

and find a good vet here who can check:

Hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology