Rabbits/gi stasis in young bunnies

Question
Dear dr Krempels,
first of all i would like to wish a happy new year for you and your loved ones. 2 days ago one of my pet bunnies was diagnosed with gi stasis. (She is about 3 months old and weighs about 2 pounds). My vet gave her a shot of antibiotic and a shot of metoclopramide. She also told to give her 2 shots of metoclopramid the following day. (1/2 ml each shot). I gave her tummy massage and fed her with a syringe. Today her condition has improved dramatically and she begun to eat hay and drink water on her own. She also seems more willing to play and hop around. However what made me really anxious is the fact that (according to my vet) if a young bunny gets a gi stasis at this age, it is very possible that this will be happening over and over again. In other words her prognosis was very bad. My question is if this is true, and if there is a way to minimize the risk of this happening again. I apologize for my english and i'm waiting for your response.
with regards,
thanos (tom) sitistas.

Answer
Dear Thanos,

It's not necessarily true that a bunny who suffers ileus will be a chronic problem.  It depends on what triggered the ileus in the first place.  Was it an infection?  Stress?  A congenital condition?

Unless the cause is known, it's not possible to say for sure that she will have the problem again.  What's important to do now is to try and find out that cause.  Please see:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

for complete information.

Hope your bunny stays well from now on.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.