Rabbits/Hair loss and Scabbing on bunnies face

My daughters bunny first started to loose hair between the mouth and nose which then turned into scabbing. We put polysporin on it and then took her to the vet. We were given Chloramphenicol for 10 days. We were excited to see the sore leave and fur grow back duing treatment. However 2 days after treatment finished, she has started to loose fur again in the same spot as well as infection starting around 1 eye with pus. Any help is appreciated.

Dear Peggy,

The description sounds like mange.  The antibiotics might have helped clear up secondary bacterial infection in the affected area, but unless the underlying cause--parasitic mites--is addressed, the problem will not be cured.  Please see:

and ask the vet about giving your bunny some Revolution (selamectin), which should solve the problem.  DO NOT USE FRONTLINE, which is deadly to rabbits.

Note that mange does not usually affect healthy, happy animals.  It's a sign of stress.  So be sure your bunny is housed in a large, spacious area, and has plenty of room to run and play, plus lots of love and social interaction and the right kinds of food.  Please visit:

for all the best information on proper care of your bunny to keep her healthy for a long, happy life.

I hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology