Rabbits/how can i help my rabbit

i got an abandoned rabbit, not had her long, after few weeks i noticed she wasnt using her back legs , i took her to the vet, they gave her anti inflammatry injection and said there wasnt anything broken. i fetched her in from the cold as its snowing so she is in my kitchen , but becuase she isnt using her back legs, she is weeing on herself and making all her legs red raw. iv been putting sudocrem on her wound, and tried covering it but it dont last at all, and the redness is looking like its getting worse. iv been wiping her down everyday and cleaning her bed out. she is eating fresh food but not much hard rabbit food or water . i really would like to know how best to heal her leg sore if its possible .. or in severe pain

Dear Nicola,

What a lucky bunny to have found such a caring "mom."  She may be showing the effects of a parasite, Encephalitozoon cuniculi.  Some helpful articles might give you an idea of what can be done:

And if she remains unable to move her hind legs, it is not a death sentence.  We have many disabled bunnies who do just fine with a little help:

I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology