Rabbits/HELP MY RABBIT MAY HAVE A BROKEN PAW?!?!?!

Question
so my bunny lola jumped off my bed and got her leg stuck in her cage, my boyfriend got it out but he thinks its broken i think she sprained/fractured it because she is still eating hopping around(she was going crazy last night) and she is drinking. she keeps it tucked in close to her, how do you know if its fractured sprained or broken? PS. she is a wild rabbit we found outside.

Answer
Dear Kendyl

If this is a *wild* wild rabbit (i.e., a cottontail or hare), and not a domestic rabbit who was "dumped" when not wanted any more, then this might be more challenging, as rabbits like this tend to be very nervous and difficult to safely anesthetize.

But if your bunny is any color but "wild type" agouti, then she is likely a domestic bunny.  

If she is not putting any weight on the foot, then you should get her to a rabbit-savvy veterinarian ASAP for examination and treatment, as necessary.  If there are broken bones, they need to be stabilized with an extremely LIGHT splint or cast, as a heavy cast can really injure a rabbit badly, and damage joints that are currently fine.

Even if she is putting a little weight on it (a good sign), she might need pain medication.  So good to get her to a vet, in any case.

You can find vets here:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets

I hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.