Rabbits/injured legs and gas

Question
leg
leg  
i have a house rabbit supposedly less than a year in age,a week ago ingued his both hind leg while playing and stopped eating .i take him to vet he gives her pain killer and brufen,but didnot treated her legs.after getting doze my rabbit strat eating and dinking she respond me  well,but showing signs of gas or gistasis .i give her simethicone and flagyl . now one of  her legs is gone worst as it is  very thin and lost muscel around it i can see bones  .second leg is   kept in one position.and getting week.she passes gas but doesnt seem to have problem with appitite and feces.how should i treat her leg and gas problem recommend home treatment as in my country rabbit are rare as pet and feed on back yard grass and green for goatsand leaves.so do i

Answer
Dear Alie,

Did the vet take x-rays to see if the leg is broken?  This is fairly critical, since a broken bone can be a source of infection and must be treated promptly to stop the pain.  It needs to be stabilized and held still so it can heal. The first step is a radiograph to find out if it is broken.

Metacam for pain will be helpful.  Please also see:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/ileus.html

for help on determining if this pain has caused her to suffer from ileus, which can be fatal.  You need to keep her intestines moving for her to survive and be well again.  

For information on proper food and care to give her the best chance, please go to:

http://www.rabbit.org

Making sure she has proper nutrition and housing will go a long way to keeping her will to live strong, and her ability to heal as good as possible.

I hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.