Rabbits/loose stool

Question
I have noticed that my house rabbit has at times loose stool. It is not consistent but intermittent. His activity level and appetite have remained unchanged. I am thinking that that problem is dietary as he is a VERY fussy eater. I have tried continuously to get him to eat timothy hay and he flat out refuses. I have tried to offer it in small amounts mixed with alfalfa and he seems to get angry and just pulls out all the hay eating only the alfalfa. I stopped the alfalfa completely as well in hopes that he would be hungry enough to eat the Timothy hay with no luck either. I am looking for any suggestions as to how to improve his diet. He is a sweet rabbit but loaded with personality and stubborn as a mule!!! :)

Answer
Dear Jamie,

Your bunny appears to be suffering from chronic cecal dysbiosis, which is fully explained here:

www.bio.miami.edu/hare/poop.html

While some people mistakenly believe this is due to giving a bunny a diet too rich in fresh greens, this is almost never the problem.  However, it could have something to do with his, if bun is getting the wrong type of food.  Please check that here:

www.bio.miami.edu/hare/diet.html

A very common cause of this problem is  pain/stress from dental disorders, such as molar spurs or other dental problem.  Your bunny's picky eating habits are a BIG red flag for this.  Please read:

www.bio.miami.edu/hare/dental.html

You will need an experienced rabbit vet to help you, and you can find one via the Vet Referral Listings linked here:

www.rabbit.org/vets

The vet can also check for intestinal parasites (if possible, bring a very fresh sample of bunny poop with you in a clean ziplock bag), such as coccidia or roundworms. These are not particularly common in adult rabbits, but it never hurts to be sure.

In the meantime, you can safely clean bunny and keep him comfortable with the techniques described here:

www.bio.miami.edu/hare/buttbath.html

I hope this helps you get to the bottom of the problem and get it under control.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.