Rabbits/Male neutered rabbits always together now fighting?

I have recently been given 2 male neutered rabbits, I was told that they get along, today when they were in their run they decided to fight and caused one of them to get an injury to their ear we have token both to the vets and got them checked for any other injuries, they have been separated currently but as they have always been together I would like to be able to put them back together but I don't want the to start fighting again because other injuries could be caused, but with them being apart I don't want them to get lonely. I think it may be due to my other rabbits being young females. I hope I can get them back together and happy I just hope this hasn't caused a problem forever because I don't want more problems with them fighting I don't like seeing them on their own when they have looked so happy together, I have other rabbits that live together and get along fine. I know it might be a long process getting them back to being friends but I'm prepared to do it.

What I am asking is for tips on getting them back to being friends? Any help will be gratefully received and I will be very thankful

Thank you

Dear Natalie,

A change of scenery, a new home, and the presence of the females can all trigger discord between bunnies who have formerly been friends.  Now the question is:  Can this marriage be saved?  It depends.

For certain, don't put them back together in the area where they have been fighting.  You'll need a neutral territory and perhaps car rides to have them share stress and re-bond.  Here are some tips that might be helpful:

And lots of tips on bonding here:

If the boys absolutely won't get along, you might consider bonding them with the girls, one each, unless the girls are bonded to each other.  A foursome *might* work, but that will be tricky and you will need a very large, neutral space to allow the four to introduce themselves to each other.

I hope these articles will help.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology