Rabbits/Mini Lop just gave birth and might still be pregnant?!?!

We took in what we were told were 2 females 2 weeks ago. Long story short, they are male and female and as soon as I figured that out (5 days ago) I separated them and I palated the female and felt a baby, saw movement, and could express milk. The 2 were housed together behind a feed store and I'm thinking they bred over and over and must've killed the kits because the owner never saw any. As soon as I knew she was pregnant we made her a place in our laundry room with a nesting box (4 days ago). She set it up with hay that night and tonight I went in to check on her and found a dead kit on the floor and 2 other puddles of blood on the floor and it looked like her water broke while she was in her litter box. She had pulled some fur during the process because it was in her box and some near the dead baby. I disposed of the baby and cleaned up the mess and watched her for a bit and I swear I still see movement in her belly but she seems done with the birthing. If she is pregnant still with another litter, are the chances pretty high that she will kill them?  I couldn't tell if the kit that was born was killed by her or not..there had been about 3 hrs from the last time I checked on her to when I saw the baby. It didn't look mutilated.

Hi Jenny,

It is possible that she has more babies in there.  The only thing you can really do is watch her.  It seems as though she made an attempt at being a good mother but clearly is confused.  If you keep her in a quiet place where she can't be bothered she may do fine if she has more.  I have seen them have babies several hours apart.  If she doesn't have anything else in a day or two then she is probably done.  Within the next day or two if there are no more babies I would get her to a rabbit savvy vet right away.  There is a possibility of babies becoming stuck.  The best thing for her would be to get her spayed.  Once she is spayed and the buck is neutered they can be re-bonded.  

Good luck

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.