Rabbits/Mini Rex Colours

QUESTION: I have a few questions that I have been wondering for a while. I have this broken red doe with tiny, visible black dots around her. There's not a lot, but there's enough to see. Her red coat turns to a yellowish colour on her side just below her shoulder. Is this a rare colour? I'm not sure...

My black and white mini Rex buck, he has black spots that are outlined with a gray colour all around his black spots. His sister has it too, but its just on her face. Is this rare as well?

My broken red doe (as I mentioned) I was thinking to breed with my broken light brown buck. What kind of colours do you think I'll get?

ANSWER: Hi Emily,

Do you have any photos?  It sounds like your broken red is a tri color.  It is not a rare color if it is a tri but without seeing photos it would be hard for me to tell.  The broken black sounds like he has frosty markings.  This is a major fault in Mini Rex and personally unless he has an awesome body type I would not breed it in.  It tends to be hereditary.  When referring to light brown you could be talking about so many different colors and could get so many different combinations.  A broken red bred to a chocolate (dark brown) would be a good combination.  The chocolate color tends to hide the smutty coloring that reds can get.  If you can send me some photos I could probably give you a better answer.  

I wish I could be of more help.

QUESTION: My broken red is Kate. Picture #1 (she's beside a mirror)

The broken light brown buck is River. Picture #2

I also have another question that I forgot to ask. If you bred a broken red (Kate) to a broken black could you get otter coloured mini Rex babies? Is this possible?

What you have are 2 beautiful tri colored Mini Rex.  They are not exactly rare but not a lot of people work on them because they are difficult to win with.  River is a blue/fawn tri and Kate is a black/orange tri.  There is not a very good chance of getting otter out of Kate.  There is a slight chance that her 2nd gene is otter but highly unlikely.  Most people do not breed otters into tris and she would have to carry it in order for you to get otter babies.  Even if your black came from otters he can not produce them.  Self (black, blue, chocolate, lilac) are recessive to otter which basically means that otters can hide selfs but selfs can not hide otters.  What you can get is red, self, castor, and any variation of those (opal, lynx etc).  You can also get harlequins which are a solid tri color and they are not showable but they are pretty.

I hope this helped.

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.