Rabbits/Small sores on baby bunny genitals

Question
Hi! I have recently begun breeding rabbits for meat and I have my first litter of large rabbits. Recently when I went to begin sexing my babies one of them had small pus-filled sores in it's genial region. More specifically they were in the area of bare skin on the side of the genital region in the fold between the anus and the vulva. They were very pimple-like being red with white heads and somewhat sore looking. They were both broken open already and leaking so I drained them and cleaned them with peroxide which the baby put up with without any fuss at all. The babies are all almost four weeks old and are acting perfectly normal and otherwise appear to be healthy. I am just curious as to if I need to worry about this at all.

Answer
As reprehensible as I find it for anyone to raise rabbits for meat (if you would not eat a Golden Retriever or a kitten, then why would you eat an animal as intelligent and loving as a rabbit), I will answer for the rabbits' sake.

This could just be ingrown hairs, or it could be a sign that the babies have contracted syphilis from their mother (who could be a carrier without showing symptoms).  This can easily and safely be treated, if it is syphilis, with injectable dual-acting penicillin (very cheap).  You can find a rabbit-experienced veterinarian to help you here:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets

I hope once you get to know your rabbits you will realize that they do not belong on a dinner plate any more than your grandmother does.

Dana  

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.