Rabbits/water went down the wrong way

Question
My disabled rabbit was drinking water out of her bottle, started sneezing then coughing.  Some water came out. Few minutes later a little more coughing. Seems OK now, eating, acting normal.

What do I need to look out for?

Answer
Dear Linda,

If it was just clean water, you're probably safe now.  If it was food or a different liquid, it might be more dangerous, as foreign particles could remain and cause aspiration pneumonia.

But this was just water, and since that's the main inorganic component of our bodies, she should be fine.  If she stopped choking a few minutes after this happened, she got the problematic water out, and crisis averted.

Scary, though!  Is she able to drink from a bowl?  That might be safer, as long as her disability doesn't cause her to pitch forward and not be able to get out of the bowl if she were to fall into it.  (I had that happen with my disabled rabbit, and had to do the "rabbit Heimlich" to revive him!)

Hope everything will be fine from this point on.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.