Rabbits/Help! Neutered bunny still spraying me!!

Question
Fritz
Fritz  
Help!! I'm a new bunny owner and I'm having difficulty understanding my bunny. He was neutered less than a month ago and he is still spraying me more than once when I let him out of his cage! I understand that it takes about a month for the hormones to get out of his system, but I'm afraid this will become a habit. Why is he spraying me? Is he threatened by me? Because he doesn't seem like he is. He is very friendly. I feel awful because I don't let him out as much because I'm just constantly cleaning up after him. I clean up the urine and then,as if he is upset that I cleaned it, he comes over and sprays me again!I'm used to dogs who aim to please you but I know bunnies aren't like that. What do I do!?

Answer
Hi Jessica

This is going to take patience! He could well still have those hormones raging and it may also be frustration at being cooped up because of his behaviour.

I would recommend building him a pee-proof pen (use cheap plastic sheets i.e. shower curtains with cheap fleece bedding on top which can be washed when its dirty) around his cage and giving him more space. When you go to see him keep it slow, gentle, don't try and pick him up or force handling on him, let him come to you and, most importantly, don't wear different fragrances! Rabbit's eyesight is poor compared to their sense of smell.

Some rabbits will remain pee'ers throughout their life to express their displeasure at goings on. Best move would be to look up on bonding him with a wifebun, a wifebun who will put him in his place if he decides to pee haha! Bonded pairs tend to be more settled than singles, and less messy.

Good luck!
Cat

Rabbits

Cat