Rabbits/rabbit babies and mom

our  rabbit  had babies  she  had 10  one was dead at birth.  since then  (1 week) they are dying off. we are down to 4   on  3 of the babies we noticed they have black front feet like the tissue is dying. What is happening.  we moved the hay and it appears  mom may be bleeding but we cannot tell from where maybe urine. Can you advise.

Hi Catherin
Sorry to hear about your bunnies!

I would call a local bunny vet and take mum and babies in ASAP as this sounds nasty. If she's bleeding that could be a complication post birth and you may be at risk of losing her too. If the babies are losing circulation to paws that could indicate a genetic problem, maybe their circulation systems/hearts didn't develop properly?

Rabbits do breed for quantity and not quality so these babies may have never been able to survive long term if they were born with genetic anomolies. Do you know if any rabbits in her bloodline have had problems too?

I would recommend discussing this with a vet.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.