Rabbits/stye on rabbit lower eyelid

My bunny is 3 years old. Yesterday I noticed a stye like thing on her lower eyelid. It didn't get any bigger since yesterday. I will take her to the vet if it gets worse but would like to get some advice on it. Is it something serious? Thank you very much!

Hi Milly

Sorry to hear about your bun. This could be a number of things and I would go to the vet asap rather than waiting. It could be a sty, it could be an insect bite, it could be an infection, it could be an abscess. Myxomatosis also can manifest as lumps around the eyes.

So I would recommend going to the vet asap rather than waiting it out. Better to do that than wait until it's beyond treatment, or just being told its nothing to worry about!

Good luck!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.