Rabbits/wizz master

My rabbit (Rupert) is about a year old and he is a mini lop bunny. My partner and I have just got a puppy (Charlie) and Rupert keeps wizzing on Charlie and poops everywhere. He just wont use his litter tray any more... we don't know what to do with him any more. How do I stop this from happening?

Hi Rachael

I'm going to guess here and say Rupert isn't neutered is he? Unneutered bucks are a bit like tom cats and he will be demanding dominance from Charlie by "marking" him. Wild rabbits do this in the warren too.

I recommend getting him neutered. It will take a month for the hormones to get out his system. In the meantime, keep them a part as best you can with playpen panels. Once Rupert has calmed down you can cross fingers and hope he'll view Charlie as a friend and not someone Rupert needs to be the boss of!

Good luck!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.