Rabbits/Abscesse in cheek from points on teeth

Question
Hi
I need an opinion. I have been reading all the articles and case studies on the use of Long- Term Administration of Penicillin G Benzathine/Penicillin G Procaine. I have been non stop on the internet since my Rabbit came home from hospital on Thursday. He had his upper and lower back molars spur trimmed (or filed down). The Vet Her name is Dr Powers a CVS in Charlotte shes has a great reputation. Dr P saw that an abscess had formed in his cheek and that she saw pus around his back teeth. She gave me my options but her recommendation was to not aggressively treat the abscess with surgery. My Rabbit is 8 years old. He tends to go into GI Stasis after surgery and teeth trims.Its three days after hes gotten home and hes doing the chewing motion with his mouth and is eating less. He still takes his treats though. Hes still pooping.  So I would like to try the Pen G to see if that helps diminish his abscess without the surgery. What are your thoughts?

Answer
Dear Patricia,

If this were my rabbit I would *definitely* ask the vet about putting him on dual-acting Penicillin G Procaine/Benzathine.  It's important to get that one-two punch of the dual-acting.  Pen-G alone is short acting, but the benzathine salt is slow release, and that seems to be key.

I hope it works for your little guy.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.