Rabbits/Bunny Berivement

Question
Hi Had 2 male bunnies bought at the same time from the same pet shop. Unfortunately 1 of the bunnies died recently and I am thinking of getting another companion for the other one who is now 8 months old. The male I currently have is castrated and has been for 3 months now, and he was the more docile of the 2 (the other one would groom and 'look after' him) Is it possible to introduce another bunny in and is a male or female more preferable? Are there any particular steps I should take?

Answer
Hi Beth
Sorry to hear about the loss of one of your bunnies.

With bonding, good that the remaining buck is neutered. The easiest bond is with a spayed female. Bonding can be tricky as it's all down to the individual rabbit's personalities. Buying a bunny, getting her spayed, and trying bonding can fail if they just don't fancy one another! Bonding must take place on completely neutral territory and is always a toss of the dice.

I recommend seeing if you have any local rescues to you as many rescues have already spayed females (albeit spayed single girls are always in demand!) and are experienced in bonding. Some rescues will even do the bonding for you.

I recommend this forum to help you find a good local rescue (if you're in the Hertfordshire/Cambridge/Essex area I can recommend you one!) and advise you on bonding if you decide to get a female separately and do it yourself.
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/forum.php

Hope I helped!
Cat

Rabbits

Cat