My vet suspects that my bun might possibly have E. Cuniculi and wants to do a EC Titer.is a ec titer worth doing? or should i ask the vet to treat him for ec?

Dear Marc,

If it were my rabbit, I would ask for treatment.  A paired titer will always be inconclusive:  a high titer in the absence of signs can simply mean that the rabbit is reacting to the presence of hte parasite, but handling it fine with his/her immune system.  A low titer in the presence of signs could mean that the bunny's immune system is not up to the challenge, and is not reacting to the parasite.

So if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck...I'd ask the vet to just start treatment and dispense with diagnostics that might not be all that informative.   But that's just me.

We have had very good results by using Ponazuril alongside Panacur (fenbendazole). I would NOT recommend albendazole, as it has been anecdotally linked to dozens of rabbit deaths due to its toxic effect on the bone marrow.  Fenbendazole and oxibendazole are much safer.

I hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

...it is an EMERGENCY.

Find a rabbit vet at www.rabbit.org/vet for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology