Rabbits/feeding my bun

Question
I've made a hay trough for my rabbit in yet another attempt to keep the wasted hay to a minimum, but she is still wasting it... with the added bonus of boxing the trough wires (a noisy annoyance for me) out of what seems to be frustration.

She will only eat about half of the hay she pulls out of the trough, then demands more.  I understand her not wanting to eat the crappy parts, but she rejects perfectly good strands.

I feed her timothy hay.

I've read that hay should be available at all times, but in the past we've fed her 3 times a day due to work schedules and she did fine.  Since I stay at home now, she stomps at me or nibbles on the cage (her way of asking for food) every time I walk by her (and I give in and refill her trough).  She does this even though there is a pile of good hay right under her trough that she's already pulled out!  

If I take the rejected hay and refill her trough, she will continue to eat only half of what she pulls out.  

What is going on and what do I do about it?  Why is she scratching at the trough (loudly sending hay bits flying everywhere) when she is perfectly capable of pulling out the hay?  Should I stop refilling her trough until she eats some of the hay she has already pulled out?  Is she amused by this charade?

Answer
Hiya

Sounds like she's just playing to be honest haha! My two like nothing better than diving in head first into their hay and digging through to select the best strands of hay.

Never expect her to eat every last strand before you refill, it just won't happen. If it does happen, then she's not had enough hay!

Give her a nice big pile of hay, a pile the same size as her, enough for her to get her head in and dig around to get the best strands. Here's my Bob looking for the best bits:
http://distilleryimage9.ak.instagram.com/1d708ed8486011e3ba9622000ab69b4d_8.jpg

Hope I helped!
Cat

Rabbits

Cat