Front Shot
Front Shot  

Wider Angle Shot
Wider Angle Shot  
Hi Dana,

I was touching my bunnies nose and it felt rough. I've only had him for 5 months now, and I can't remember whether his nose was like this before.

However I noticed he does use his hind legs to scratch that part quite often. He also likes to lick me very often, and since he is on the ground, he often licks my feet. The problem is I do have a problem with nail fungus, and is it possible that this is what has infected his nose? My GF also has some Oribiotic, can I put that on his nose?

Please see attached photos (of my bunnies nose, not my nail).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Brown

Dear Mr. Brown,

Never use medications meant for humans or other species on a rabbit unless you are absolutely sure it's safe.  In this case, the medication you describe would not do any good, as the condition on your bunny's nose is most likely mange.  This is caused by microscopic mites, which will not be killed by fungicides or antibiotics.  (The types of fungi that cause nail bed problems in humans will not thrive in the environment of a rabbit's skin.)

You can read more about mange here (along with other common rabbit skin maladies):

The best, safest treatment is topical application of selamectin (Revolution; Stronghold), but DO NOT use anything containing fipronil (e.g., Frontline), as this is deadly to rabbits.  I hope you can find a rabbit vet here in the international listings to help you:

And I hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

...it is an EMERGENCY.

Find a rabbit vet at www.rabbit.org/vet for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology