Rabbits/health: rabbit not eating; broken leg

my bunny is 2 months old,suddenly he is not eating anything since 4-5 days,i hv taken him to the veteran and the doc said his temperature,health is okay.he told me to give him salaine.we are giving him salaine till now but still he is not eating any food! Plus he broke his one leg today! Doc said in bangladesh we dont have the facility to cure his leg.what shud i do about his eating and about his broken leg?

Dear Waleefa,

You need to find a different vet.  A bunny cannot go with a broken leg untreated.  It must *at least* be stabilized and splinted to give it a chance to heal.  If the break is severe, then ask the vet about antibiotics such as Baytril (enrofloxacin).  (NO oral penicillins!)  If the bones do not knit, then amputation is an option and better than euthanasia.  But you will have to help him do things he won't be able to do, such as scratch his ear on that side, etc.

The not eating is worse, and can be a sign of ileus.  Please read this:

and share this one with your vet, as well as the one above:

Please also see:

to help with diagnosis of what is going on with your bunny.

I hope he will be fine soon, but he needs immediate help.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology