I have in my house fresh bought kale which has black dots is that safe for rabbit to eat? (i noticed that most of the time i get kale that has the black dots the kale is turning yellow. this time its both yellow and green.)
What about if their is a rust colored spots on the leaves is that safe?

if i don't have to throw it out that would be really great.

Dear Ed,

I've found kale with black spots, too, and these could be caused either by bacteria or by fungi.  Neither one is great for a bunny to ingest.  Good rule of thumb is:  If you wouldn't eat it yourself, then don't feed it to your bunny.  A bunny's intestinal flora is far more delicate than yours, and a bunny "on the edge" for other health reasons might get GI upset from ingesting fungi and/or bacteria on a plant.  This is one reason it's extremely important to wash all your bunny's produce very well before serving.  Even organic.  ESPECIALLY organic.  Various bacteria may lurk in the folds of the leaves, and it's better to be safe than sorry.

If you can remove the parts of the kale that are spotted, the healthy parts of the leaves should be okay to feed.

Hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

...it is an EMERGENCY.

Find a rabbit vet at www.rabbit.org/vet for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology