Rabbits/Sudden death

I wonder if you wil be able to help me as I am quite desperate for answers and no vets seem to be able to help, I had four lovely healthy bunnies one, a lion lop doe 3 1/2 years old two giant French lops roughly a year old and one dwarf lion lop 8 months old. Sunday morning they were perfectly fine bouncy and eating then when going in to feed them Sunday evening I found all four dead. I am absolutely beside myself and frantically looking for some answers as to how this could have happened.

Dear Bella,

I am so very sorry about the tragic loss of your bunnies.  Unfortunately, there are no details at all here, and I have nothing at all to go on.  Unless the rabbits showed some sign of illness, there is no way to guess what might have happened.

A necropsy including histopathology and toxicology testing of various major organs would be the only way to know what happened.  I don't even know if the bunnies were outside (susceptible to pesticides, stress from a predator being near, environmental extremes, maliciousness of a neighbor or passerby?) or inside (poisons?).

For your peace of mind, you might consider the necropsies.  I am very sorry for your terrible loss.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

...it is an EMERGENCY.

Find a rabbit vet at www.rabbit.org/vet for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology