Rabbits/Traveling with Dwarf Rabbit

Question
My Vixen rabbit is 4 year old Netherland dwarf and in good health, but she gets very nervous when I take her places (e.g. to get her nails trimmed or checkup).  We're planning to move to Florida sometime next year, so I wanted to know the best way a can transport her with minimal stress.  Every other rabbit forum I've been to suggests not to travel with rabbits, but I have no choice. The flight from Indianapolis to Orlando will be 2.5 hours.  Vixen will ride with me in the cabin (I already checked with Continental airlines and they'll allow this).  Add early check-in time and transport from airport to our new home in Ocala, that's about 5 hours total she'll go without food or water (cause I know she won't eat while traveling).  I plan to have her cage setup and waiting for her at the new house along with everything she needs.  But I'm very worried that she'll be too stressed to eat again.  What things can I do to make this easier on her?

Answer
Dear Julie,

For a nervous nellie rabbit, there's nothing quite like a little dose of Ativan to alleviate the problems of travel.  Please ask your vet about getting a bunny-dose prescription for her to take about an hour before you travel.  She'll be a little sleepy and gorky for 8-12 hours, but that's better than being freaked out and scared.

We've used diazepam, but our vet says that Ativan is much better.  Not yet had an opportunity to try it, but I trust him on that.

If you can't get Ativan, then diazepam (Valium) will work well, too.

Hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.