Rabbits/When to wean baby rabbits?

Question
QUESTION: hi,
i have read conflicting info about when to separate baby rabbits from their mother. some say 5 weeks some say 8. are you able to advise.
thankyou in advance.

ANSWER: Dear Daisy,

Baby bunnies need to be with their mama for at least eight weeks in order to be safely weaned.  

All the best information I can offer you about breeding is here:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/breeding.html

Hope it helps.

Dana

QUESTION: thankyou dana,

it was very interesting to read the breeding info. & now makes me think quite differently about breeding our doe again.

i'm now curious about the age to neuter a male. we have a buck who is about 3 years old. i would like to neuter him to curb his mating behaviours. is it too late to do this?

Answer
Dear Daisy,

At the age of three, your male bunny is not too old to be neutered.  But to be safe, it's best to have an experienced rabbit vet do a full wellness check to make sure he's a good candidate for this relatively minor surgery.  No surgery is 100% risk-free.  But the benefits of neutering may outweigh the risk in this case, since he could then be with his mate (once he's completely sterile, about 3-4 weeks after surgery) and cuddle without the worry of babies.

You can find a rabbit vet here:

http://www.rabbit.org/vet

Females should be spayed to avoid the risk of uterine cancer, which is very common in unspayed females.  

I hope everything will work out well for you and your bunny family.  :)

Sincerely,

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.