Rabbits/breed

Question
pic
pic  
i bought this rabbit from a feed store and was curious as to what breed it is???

Answer
Rabbit genetics are very complicated.

In the case of a REW (red eyed white) - the rabbit can be almost ANY breed - because the white gene is dominant over other colors.

The easiest way to explain it would be - take any object in your home - of any color - and lay a white bed sheet over it.  Now - what color is it???? -its white because you laid a white sheet over it, but under that sheet the same object is a different color.

When rabbits carry the REW gene, it 'masks' their true color.  They can be brown, black, blue, spotted, etc. but that color cant show through the REW gene they have.

Given the body shape and ear positon, I believe you have a  New Zealand White - which is the most common commercial meat rabbit.  If they are handled from a very young age they can become quite social, but if not they tend to be on the skittish/nervous side and tend to shy away from humans.

Good luck with your new bunny!

Rabbits

Lisa L.

I was introduced to meat rabbits at the age of 3. Began working with them on my own at the age of 8 and started my own large commercial rabbitry at the age of 20. I'm 46 now and for the past 26 years I have owned a large herd of meat rabbits and have become well known as the turn-to person whenever a problem arrises.

Member of the American Rabbit Breeders Association. Member of the Rabbit Industry Council. Member of the Yahoo - Meat Rabbits Group. Member of the American Council of Animal Naturopathy. Administrators of the FaceBook "Rabbit's as meat" group. Owner of Yahoo - Raising Meat Rabbit's for maximum yield group

Yahoo Meat Rabbits Group. www.rabbitzinger.com American Council of Animal Naturopathy www.raisingrabbits.com FaceBook "Rabbit's as meat" group. Owner of Yahoo - Raising Meat Rabbit's for maximum yield group

There is no formal training for raising rabbits; its all hands on. I have had a steady rabbit breeding operation for 24 years and have read every book there is on raising rabbits for meat. Additionally, I am a member of several rabbit groups and associations as listed below.

None - there are none in this field.

I have helped countless people over the past several decades. These have been people I knew personally or those referred to me by one of the many rabbit organizations I belong to.