Rabbits/bunny sometimes sneezing

zoe\'s nose
zoe's nose  
Dear dana,
2weeks ago I just bought new bunny,Zoe.. And as I notice he likes to sneeze sometimes but not often.. One day I try to wipe his nose with tissue and I kind of shock cause the tissue is wet.. I did it again and it still wet.. He eats well.. I feed him with hay, pellets, carrot and fresh vegetables.. He eats a lot.. He makes me worried cause my bunny just passed away almost 1 month ago which got ear,eyes and finally the lungs infection that I suspect it was caused by pasteurella.. I had fed Zoe medicine which contain sulfadiazine and trimethoprim since 2days ago.. But until now when I try to wipe the nose still u think it is normal or I got to be worried.. I don't want to misdiagnose my bunny anymore since the last one I just found I'm too late to know that my bunny got ears infection that cause him headtilt.. :( thank u dana

Dear Sanny,

Clear discharge isn't an emergency, but you're wise to want to get things under control before they become more serious.  Trimethoprim is safe for rabbits, but honestly we find it is no longer very effective against most of the bacteria that cause upper respiratory infections in rabbits.  Baytril tends to be a better choice, though even that will not always solve the problem.  It depends on the type of bacteria causing the problem and *why* there is a problem (stress from a new home?  dental disease?  The list is long.).

Please read these articles, which I think will help you better understand the problem and how to deal with it:

for starters.

It is a good idea to find a rabbit-experienced veterinarian now, before you really need one. I hope you can find one via the international listings linked here:

And I hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology