Rabbits/My heater exploded and got all over my bunny

I have a 8 month old mini lop. We just bought a oil space heater and the thing exploded and got everywhere all on the walls all on the floor and all over her and her cage.. I wasn't in the room when it happened but when I went in the room it was smoking.. First thing I did was unplug it and ran up to her cage where she ran up to me covered in oil. I washed her 7 times.. I noticed a scratch on her eye and it swollen and red I washed her the best I could dried her and put her in a back up cage I have on hand. She was shaken up and I was worried about her eye but not too bad. Next day I notice her scratch started to scab and the swollen went down a bit. 3rd day in trying to clean the remainder of the oil off her face I notice her ear is swollen and her eye is red. She is not as friendly and she tried to bite me. She is the most sweetest rabbit in the world who comes up trying to get into your lap. But now she is running away. :( I'm taking her to the vet in the morning now realizing that I should of did it a day ago. But what do you think?? Is it bad?

Dear Jan,

It would have been wise to get her to the vet right away, but what's done is done.  I can't really know what is going on with her without seeing her.  But I would not be surprised if her grouchiness is due to pain.

Please be sure you have a good, experienced rabbit vet who can prescribe appropriate medications (especially for pain), as necessary:

I hope she will be back to her old self soon.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology