Rabbits/Scrotal Bumps

QUESTION: Dear Dr. Krempels,

i was just holding my bun and noticed he has bumps on his scrotum. almost like very little grapes. they are the color of his skin and do not look fluid. his left testicle is about twice the size of his right one but the right one has more bumps. have you ever seen anything like this before? is this normal? of course i can't catch him now that i have a camera. i lost my job and don't have money to take him to the vet but now i'm worried

Thank you so much!

Jennifer and Nikka

ANSWER: Dear Jennifer

This is not normal, and could well be testicular cancer or testicular abscesses.  Either one will require the attention of an experienced rabbit vet, whom you can find here:

I wish I could tell you otherwise, but to do so would be irresponsible of me.  Please call up the vets and ask if any of them can work out a payment plan with you because of your situation.  I hope they will be compassionate enough to help.

Good luck,

QUESTION: Thank you so much for your reply. I was able to inspect him further today. i think his one testicle was just inside. the size of both seem to be normal today. I was able to get a picture of the bumps, which i have attached. He is intact and is acting completely normal. He does not seem to have any sensitivity as i was feeling around a lot. they don't seem to be attached to anything as i can get my finger under them, just under the skin. upon squeezing them i did get some brown and white thick waxy pieces to come out. they had no odor to them and no blood. I'm thinking they may just be subaceous cysts?

Dear Jennifer,

They could be sebaceous cysts, but there are sure a lot of them.  They do look to me more like abscesses, but since I can't see them in person I can't be sure.

Best bet would be to get him to a vet for positive diagnosis.  That's the best I can tell you.

Hope it all turns out okay.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

...it is an EMERGENCY.

Find a rabbit vet at www.rabbit.org/vet for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology