Rabbits/Skin Hole

Our favorite and only bunny has a !.5 inch in diameter hole in her skin on her lower back. No fur loss, but a hole to her flesh. She is not in pain as she is played with regularly and this was just noticed today, and no infection, though she felt it when peroxide was administered. Any suggestions would be appreciated. No vets nearby with bunny experience. Thanks

Hi Rose

I would have a chat with a vet, even if they're not bunny pro they will have experience with skin damage in animals. There could be pain there but rabbits hide pain until it's unbearable.

It could be an abscess which has popped. She may need anti-biotics as infection could still happen (such as Baytril).

Fingers crossed she heals quickly!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.