Rabbits/skin peeling

i have noticed that my rabbit's skin is peeling around and in her ears this has been going on for about 2 weeks. we tried ear mite medicine and it just made it worse. what is wrong with her?

Hi Angie
Sorry to hear about your bunny.

I recommend getting this checked at the vets for a skin scraping. If it is mites, maybe a different medication is needed.

If it's not, it could simply be your bun is unable to clean her ears properly herself. If she's alone that could be it, in a bonded pair they're constantly cleaning each other's ears. If it is that, you will have to take over the roll of another bun and gently clean her ears yourself with a cotton bud. A good bunny vet will be able to show you how to do this as it has to be done very carefully so as not to hurt the bun or damage the ears.

Good luck!

I can answer questions around the welfare of pet rabbits, basic health queries including gut stasis, diet worries, bonding questions and the proper welfare standards around housing rabbits (i.e. no wire floors, no small cages and they should be kept in properly bonded de-sexed pairs in very large enclosures). I cannot answer showing questions nor complex breeding issues as I do not agree with either, seeing the other end of the story in the world of rabbit rescue.

I have two 7 year old rescue rabbits and volunteer for a well established rabbit rescue here in the UK, both physically doing cleaning out etc and I am also their events and awareness co-oordinator, helping educate the general public on proper rabbit keeping, this means I have to ensure all information I give is correct and matches current welfare standards.

I belong to the RWAF (Rabbit Welfare Association & Fund) and volunteer for a major rabbit rescue.

I have no formal education on this subject, however read everything I can to keep up to date with current welfare standards and health problems. Both my rabbits have sensitive guts and constantly keep me on my toes.