Rabbits/Snuffles bun on Chloramphenicol going into GI stasis

Hi, I have a bun with the snuffles who I took to the vet a week ago, he's a cchronic snuffler who has had a flare up recently so I took him in to get him on antibiotics and he was prescribed a two week course cloramphenicol which has worked for him in the past. A couple of days ago I noticed his poos were getting quite small and since I've had experience with GI stasis in the past I knew what it was, so I started giving him Critical Care. My question is, what would have caused this? Would it be the antibiotic its self, the stress from me giving it to him or even hair balls? He's a Mini Rex and he is currently molting. He hasn't stopped eating entirely, but he's obviously not eating enough. I haven't noticed any changes in his demeanor, he's still affectionate and as active as he always is, which to be honest isn't all that active, he's a 4, going on 5 year old lazy indoor cage free bunny who has my room to roam around in. If he doesn't start eating enough by himself in the next day or so I will be calling the vet.

Dear Shannon,

Almost any type of stress or pain can trigger a GI slowdown in a sensitive bunny.  Hard to tell which factor did it for your pal, since he has several things going on, as you noted.

To get his GI tract moving better, it's important to keep him well hydrated.  Lots of fresh, wet greens.  Nothing works better than a shallow enema, in my experience, to get a sluggish gut "jump started".  You can find instructions here:

I hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology