My rabbit is 9 years old,  my vet said that probably some of the problems he is having is from him being older.(i dont remeber if he said it cohld be arthritis)
I had to restrict him to his old cage with a wire floor so he doesnt get full of urine if he has a accident(which happened many times a day).also i noticed when he urinates he doesnt back up and lift his tail.

Ok, so to my question(s). What could i give to my rabbit that would help with arthritis? i saw oxbow has something, but to give that longterm the costs would add up because my rabbit isnt small.do any rabbit people use horse joint supplements dosed for rabbits maybe? oh btw this last week he was on metacam no differance :-( so i dont  know what to do.

Dear M

Some people swear by Cetyl-M for arthritis.  So if that's really the problem, you might give that a try.

But metacam should ahve helped.  I wonder if he might have E. cuniculi contributing to this problem.  If so, Panacur and/or ponazuril might help.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

...it is an EMERGENCY.

Find a rabbit vet at www.rabbit.org/vet for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology