Rabbits/Arthritis.

Question
My rabbit is 9 years old,  my vet said that probably some of the problems he is having is from him being older.(i dont remeber if he said it cohld be arthritis)
I had to restrict him to his old cage with a wire floor so he doesnt get full of urine if he has a accident(which happened many times a day).also i noticed when he urinates he doesnt back up and lift his tail.

Ok, so to my question(s). What could i give to my rabbit that would help with arthritis? i saw oxbow has something, but to give that longterm the costs would add up because my rabbit isnt small.do any rabbit people use horse joint supplements dosed for rabbits maybe? oh btw this last week he was on metacam no differance :-( so i dont  know what to do.

Answer
Dear M

Some people swear by Cetyl-M for arthritis.  So if that's really the problem, you might give that a try.

But metacam should ahve helped.  I wonder if he might have E. cuniculi contributing to this problem.  If so, Panacur and/or ponazuril might help.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.