Rabbits/Bonding Rabbits

Question
I got my first bunny when she was quite young, I had her spayed and she is a little over 1 1/2 years, Rex/Floppyear breed mix, very energetic, playful and cuddly, but she has rabbitude and knows she owns this place. Her and I get along just great and she is very much attached to me. It's just her and myself. I got another bunny a week ago. It was somewhat neglected by the owner who had no time for her and didn't feed her right or clean her cage. It's a female as well, different breed, slightly bigger, about 2 years old, unspayed. So far, very quiet but curious. Still getting used to the place, I guess. But my first bunny is going berserk about her. She attacks her as soon as I try bonding (they are in separate cages and it got so bad that I only let them out one at a time), she barely eats now, constantly wants my attention and gets aggressive if I show attention to the new bunny. I wanted to get the second bunny spayed after she got used to my place. Didn't want her to have an operation, new place and new people all at once. I also tried the neutral ground in the bathroom and had somewhat success. My bunny was mounting the new one and she let it happen-but as soon as they were out of the bathroom, my bunny started fighting again. Also, my bunny leaves droplets all around the new bunnies cage, although she is usually a very neat bunny. The new bunny, although not spayed yet, stays remarkable calm and usually just tries to get away from my bunny. But I am wondering if spaying is really THE deciding factor here since I start to get the feeling that my first, spayed, bunny will not accept her period. Spayed or unspayed and I'm also getting worried about her not eating regularly and being so jealous. Any ideas about this?

Answer
Dear Elaine,

Welcome to the wonderful world of rabbit jealousy.  :(

It's usually not a great idea to bring a strange rabbit into the home of a resident rabbit without doing some careful introductions in a completely neutral territory first.  That the new rabbit is docile and submissive is promising.  But this may take very careful, patient work on your part if this is to happen.

You can find good articles on bonding here:

http://search.atomz.com/search/?sp-a=00062824-sp00000000&sp-q=bonding

If things really don't work out, you may have to keep them separate.  But if your resident bunny continues to be unusually stressed and angry about the newcomer, it might be best and kindest to find the new bunny a home where she can be loved and not attacked by a jealous bunny.  You might be able to enlist the help of a local rabbit rescue group if you tell them the situation.  Find that group here, listed by region/state:

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters

I hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.