Rabbits/breeding after babies die

Question
I have a black polish doe and a blue polish buck.  The doe has had 2 successful litters. I bred her with the blue polish for the first time.  I found her 4 days ago with two dead babies next to her.  They were cold and looked like she had not tried to clean or care for them.  I removed the dead kits and let her rest.  A few hours later I picked her up to clean the cage and found a kit stuck half way out.  It was dead and I had to pull it out.  When the kit came out it was followed by fluid and the afterbirth.  She cleaned herself up and has been eating and fine since then.  I was told to breed her again in 3-4 days.  I bred her today which is day 4.  I am concerned about the advice I received.  The rabbits are part of my granddaughters 4-H project and this is her first year.  Your thoughts?

Answer
Hi Nadine,

I would not recommend that you breed this doe again.  There was clearly an issue with the baby being to big to pass on its own.  I strongly recommend that you have her spayed ASAP.  If you are unable to do that I suggest that you keep a very close eye on her when she is ready to kindle and have a rabbit savvy vet on standby should any issues arise.  Here is a list of rabbit savvy vets by state:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets  

I wish I had been able to answer you sooner.  Even if you get her spayed now the embryos are not fully developed kits yet.  It is sad to consider but it is better than the alternative of possibly losing your pet.

Good luck

Pam

Rabbits

Paula Murdock-Briggs

I am a licensed American Rabbit Breeders Registrar. I do not show rabbits anymore nor do I breed them. I do believe it is important that people that chose to breed rabbits do so with only purebred and genetically sound animals or that they have a thorough understanding of genetics prior to breeding. I have chosen to keep my registars license to help the 4H youth in my area. I do stay current on all breeds, varieties, show rules, regulations of the ARBA. I have spent the past 8 years focusing on rescuing and caring for PET bunnies who were no longer wanted. I am the current CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I was appointed CEO of the rescue organization and sanctuary in 2008. We gained our 501(c)3 IRS tax exemption status in 2012. We have taken on the task of rescuing unwanted PET rabbits as well as some farm animals. I teach genetics and health to the local youth as well as register and promote the breeding of only purebred and genetically sound animals. I rescue PET rabbits. These are rabbits that lived in peoples homes and were either surrendered to us or sent to the auction for meat. While I believe that all bunnies should be pets, I understand that people raise them for other reasons. I will answer questions from anyone, regardless of their purpose. I will reject any questions that are considered unethical or inhumane.

Little Angels Animal Sanctuary.

President and CEO of Little Angels Animal Sanctuary, Inc. I have over 10 years of experience working closely with a veterinarian that treats rabbits. We have studied and treated nearly every illness that can affect rabbits.