Rabbits/bunnies in a maze

I'm doing a science fair  on how smart bunnies are so if you would do a maze which bunny  will finish fastest a older or bunny or a smaller one?

Dear Jenna,

There are too many variables to be able to predict this.  But if you are doing a science fair project, why not test your hypothesis?  You could design a maze and then enlist the help of all your friends who have companion bunnies.  Record everything about the bunnies:  age, sex, breed, health conditions, etc. so that you will be able to control for variables.

Start with a hypothesis such as "Age (or whatever variable you choose) will affect the speed with which a rabbit can complete a maze."  (Notice I haven't said anything about intelligence, since this is only one small measure of smarts.)

You then set up competing (null and alternative) hypotheses:

Null:  There will be no difference in the speed of (old or young) rabbits completing the maze.

Alternative:  There will be a difference in the speed of (old or young) rabbits completing the maze.

You will have to decide what ages to define as "old" and "young".  And you will also have to do enough trials to have a good sample so you know that any differences are not just due to chance.  (Your teacher may be able to help you do a statistical test on your data.)

I hope this helps.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology