Rabbits/Daughter was in hospital with bacterial infection and rabbit died suddenly soon after

Question
My daughter has 2 rabbits, one died suddenly today. She acquired them about a month ago. 1 week ago my 30 year old daughter was in the hospital with not a clear diagnosis but end result was sepsis. High fevers,chills, and infection showing in her blood. She had been scratched by the rabbit a few days before her illness came on. I know this is a hard question to answer, just looking for any other clues to if it could be related. It was a Lionhead rabbit, approx 3 years old. No fleas and had been spayed. Thankyou.

Answer
Dear Mel

I am sorry about the loss of your rabbit.

Sadly, there is absolutely no way to confidently ascertain a cause of death without a post-mortem exam, preferably including histopathology of major organ tissues.  The illness your daughter suffered may or may not have been related to the rabbit scratch, but such a result would be rare, except in an immunocompromised person (or if the rabbit had somehow managed to hit a blood vessel.

If you noticed signs of unusual behavior before your bunny died, then please read:

www.bio.miami.edu/hare/sickbun.html

which might give some clues.  But unless you can provide a lot more specific information, this is the best I can offer.  

If a body has been kept very cold (not frozen), and it has been less than 24 hours since death, a necropsy is one option possible, as it can sometimes give closure and peace of mind.   You can find an experienced rabbit vet here who may be able to help with this:

www.rabbit.org/vets

to call and find out what your options might be.

I am very sorry for your loss.

Sincerely,

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.