Rabbits/inaproproproiate urination

Question
Hello,

I have a 5 year old lion head rabbit that is litter box trained. she also has free range of the house. I never had a problem with her marking or spraying. She is spayed and lives with no other rabbits or came into a house with other bunny scent. recently, she has been urinating in one particular spot outside of her litter box. She also uses the litter box and doesn't show any sign of distress. food and water consumption is normal and behavior is normal. when she does go in that one spot it is a rather large amount of urine, not just a small spot. I don't know whether i should take her to the vet or if it is a territorial thing.  Please advise.

Answer
Dear Miko

A sudden change in urination habits like this can signal a health problem, such as urinary tract infection, bladder sludge, or other related problem.  Even arthritis of the spine or pelvic pain can make her unwilling to jump into the box, so she just pees next door and calls that fine.

Please see:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/urinary.html

and find a rabbit-savvy vet here:

http://www.rabbit.org/vets

I hope she will be fine soon.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.