Rabbits/leg issues with baby bunnies

Question
hi i have question regarding my month old baby rabbits that i have out of the litter of 4 two are fine and i have 2 that have issues with there legs one of them has one bad leg where it seems like its deformed and the leg points out to the side and the other has similar problem but both legs point out the side and when it moves around it seems like it rolls its hips forward and bounces its bottom off the cage to move the one with one bad leg if you support the leg its seems to keep it in place till you move we are trying to figure out if this is something that can possibly be fixed or some idea as to what is wrong

Answer
Dear Jennifer,

To help the babies with congenital splay leg, please see:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/splayleg.html

If they are still young (a month is very young), the legs could be braced and the legs will develop normally.  You just need to be patient and constant with the monitoring for a few weeks.

Please also see:

http://www.bio.miami.edu/hare/breeding.html

I hope this helps.

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.