Rabbits/Lump?

Question
lump
lump  
So I bought a "holland lop" from a pet store 2 days ago. I held it before i bought it and looked around its mouth, ears, eyes, nose and genitals and it looked all good and he was the most energetic bunny there. He seems all good and healthy so i bring him home and let him get use to my room but before I put him in his cage I was gonna try to sex him (still not sure, I actually think it's a she) and while i was moving his fur I noticed a lump where its nipples would be. I could not fine any visible nipples (does that mean it's a boy?) but that was the placement of the lump. I don't know what to refer to for size but to descripe it, it was a lump and then another lump coming out of it. So I set him down, washed my hands and then gently pressed on it. It was pussing a tiny bit but I couldn't go back to the store as it was closed. He seemed to be in no pain during the touch even when i put more pressure on. Today, I took another look and it stopped pussing but still the same size. Once again, he showed no pain and ran around for hours today (obviously taking breaks, but he has so much energy) and hopping and sniffing and chewing (haha). So my question is what do you think it is and what should I do? The store is an hour away so I'd rather not go in but I figure maybe they'll be more understanding the sooner I bring him in. He has a 15 day health guarantee and I'm going in on tuesday so I can bring him then. But even then, I'm scared because I'm already attached and I don't want another rabbit nor do I want them to put him down if it's a tumor and they don't want the hassle and cost of surgery. I would pay for the surgery myself but I'm short on money and would rather not go into my savings which I'm not sure is enough (I just got a job so only about $200) and I also feel as they should pay or chip in as they sold me a "sick" bunny. Please respond with advice and your opinion. Sorry for the long question and thank-you so much. Also, he is eating and drinking fine as well as his bowel movements and peeing are normal.

Answer
Dear Nadine,

You're right about not taking him back.  He would end up dead if he's got a health problem.  
So if you love your bunny, you need to do the right thing and get him to the vet for treatment.  This sounds like an abscess, and it might not be expensive to treat.

In the meantime, you can flush the abscess with dilute povidone iodine solution to disinfect it and start to kill the bacteria inside.  If you do not know how to do this, then have the vet show you, since you certainly don't want to rupture the abscess capsule.

Poor bunny may have gotten a bite at the pet store, and it became infected.  Hard to see exactly what's going on from the blurry picture, but if you see pus, then the bunny needs to be seen by a vet.  (Part of the "joy" of pet ownership is the knowledge that sometimes you have to pony up for veterinary care.  He may not have cost much to buy, but sometimes a pet can get *very* expensive after the initial purchase.  Come to think of it, human babies are pretty much *free*, so...)

I hope he will be fine soon.

Good luck,

Dana

Rabbits

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.