Rabbits/Paula again re:baby bunny's teeth

Hi Dana, I rechecked the 1 baby again &compared to the other 2.
The area that you were very concerned about being broken, do you mean that tiny triangular bit of flesh that comes from the gum & goes part way up between the bottom incisors? If so, I checked quite a bit & compared with other 2 babies & it looks intact.
The teeth at least were sitting straight, could THAT make a positive difference?
Hope to hear from you soon

Can a baby have children's IBUPROFEN?

Dear Paula,

If the bottom incisors are solidly attached and not wobbling at all, that is a very good sign.  From your initial description, it sounded as if the jaw bone underneath the area you're describing (the gums) might be broken.

But if the teeth are not wiggling, things might be fine.  Still, if in doubt, have a good vet take a look.  That is always the safest bet, since I'm not able to see in person.  A vet is.

No ibuprofen.  Some drugs that are fine for humans and other animals can be deadly to other species because of differences in metabolism.  If the baby seems to be in pain, he *really* needs to be seen by a vet.  Do not put this off if the baby is not able to eat correctly or seems uncomfortable.

There is only so much I can do via the internet.  One of them is to recommend a visit to the vet if you are not absolutely sure the baby is okay.

Dana Krempels, Ph.D.

I've lived with companion rabbits for more than 35 years, and consider them members of my family. I can answer any questions about the biology and health of rabbits, from the commonplace to the unusual. But please note:

RULE #1:

Find a rabbit vet at for immediate help, and don't risk your bunny's life by spending time asking questions online! If you can't get in touch with your vet, read these Emergency Sick Bunny Instructions.

If you have found a wild baby rabbit, please read these EMERGENCY INSTRUCTIONS FOR WILD BABY RABBITS and then use this link to FIND A LOCAL WILDLIFE REHABILITATOR who can give you the right advice.

RULE #2:
Help me help you! Please make your subject line informative if you have an urgent question. then LET ME KNOW IN THE SUBJECT LINE so I can give your question highest priority over non-urgent questions. If you don't do this, then I can't guarantee timely assistance!

For all the best, most accurate rabbit health, care and behavior information, visit The House Rabbit Society.

I have been rescuing and rehabilitating domestic and wild rabbits for about 30 years. I have written articles for many rabbit rescue publications, as well as for the veterinary journal, Exotic DVM. I own EtherBun, the internet's largest listserve dedicated to health, care, and behavior of domestic rabbits.

Houserabbit Adoption, Rescue, and Education, Inc. (H.A.R.E., Inc.) president National House Rabbit Society (Board member)

Exotic DVM
Warren Peace (Journal of the House Rabbit Society of Miami)
Various newsletters of the House Rabbit Society, nationwide

Ph.D - Biology
B.S. - Biology
B.A. - English

Lightspan Academic Excellence Award for web site on rabbit health and biology