Rabbits/Pellets

Question
Hi Dave, Can you please tell me what percentage of protein do you think I should be feeding my French Lops. They are 1.5 years old, unneutered bucks weighing about 13 pounds. They are kept  indoors and I also show them spring-fall. Most breeders feed 17-18% protein and some literature say that the larger breeds require a higher protein(18%). They have been on 18% protein about a cup a day, with a variety of unlimited hay and leafy greens few times a week. It seems if I cut back on the pellets they begin to loose condition especially in the hindquarters (I can feel the pinbones). How can I get them conditioned and keep them healthy with a balanced diet? I recently had to change feed due to poor quality and now I am feeding Purina Show (I don't care for the brand) which has a minimum of 16% protein.
I live in the US.
Thank you for your time.

Answer
hi all my rabbits only have pellets and water but the pellets are the best you can buy and contain a antibiotic to keep them healthy.
i have had no problems with them and have won various best in show.
all i can say is to buy the best you cabn get as the cheaper ones could contain anything.
hay is good for them but give greens sparingly
dave.

Rabbits

Dave Lawrence